Late Summer Update and Announcement
|Drake Raceboat in perspective (more screenshots below)|
- A fast rowboat in the Drake spirit optimized for single, fixed- or sliding-seat rowing
- Ideal for fitness rowing and the open water racing curcuit
- 18'3" LOA (kit) stretchable up to 20' by spacing out molds (plans)
- Waterline length almost 17', 27 1/2" waterline beam
- Max beam is set at 4' so boat can be rowed in fixed seat class with 8 1/2' oars
- Sliding seat is an equal option in this boat, the Poseidon rig being the ideal, using sculling length oars
- Oarlocks for sliding seat can be mounted using Shaw and Tenney oarlock brackets or a custom made outrigger that fastens to gunwales (TBD)
- 5 kts speed potential race pace with 6kts in sprints
- Flotation tanks optional in sides or ends, but more likely flotation bags will be used and canvas decks to shed water
- Glued lapstrake construction, 4 strakes per side (4mm), no fiberglass
- Estimated weight below 75 lbs at kit length
- Numbers from computer model"
Volume Displacement = 306 lbs
Center of Buoyancy = 53.9% aft
Wetted Surface Area = 27.74 sf
Waterline Length = 16' 11 1/2"
Maximum Waterline Beam = 27.6781"
Water Plane Area = 24.5 sf
Center of Floatation = 53% aft
MSA 70.1711896 (+/- 1e-08) square inches
|More screenshots from the computer model of the DRB|