Support the CIY 18 Crowdfunding Effort
It takes a village....learn more about crowdfunding
CIY 18 Design Brief
- A Safe, seaworthy, weatherly, capable, beach cruiser with classic lines
- Dimensions: 18' loa x 6' beam w/ healthy amount of freeboard
- Draft kept to a minimum to allow for beach-cruising and launching in shallows
- Capacity for 4-5 adults in daysailer-mode or 2 adults/2 kids + gear in cruiser mode
- Displacement is light: towable by a typical sedan w/ 1000 lb towing cap.
- Appropriate hull weight to make it easy to launch and retrieve, in particular at shallow ramp
- Fullness of hull fore/aft will contribute to goals of boat and create the underwater volume needed for capacity
- Plywood-epoxy construction featuring bulletproof glassed bottom and garboard w/ glued-lapstrake topsides (6 planks)
- Below sheer, airtight tanks in bow and stern to provide flotation and storage
- Side benches with airtight tanks underneath for additional storage and flotation
- Inside of boat is easy to clean and keep clean; no hidden or inaccessible spaces
- Transom-hung, kick-up rudder w/ NACA foil shape and impact-releasable hold down
- Auxiliary power is oars or a small OB mounted on transom
- The boat can be rowed by two people. One sits on a thwart that braces the CB trunk; other sits on a removable thwart
- CB w/ NACA shape and uses bungee cord hold-down system
- Free-standing, lug-yawl rig of generous sail area set on hollow masts & spars
- Boat is good to weather even in a chop and predictable/mild-mannered in a breeze
- Easy enough to single-hand yet plenty to do for crew. Mizzen larger % of sail area than typical yawl, perhaps.
- Classic lines complimented by 6-strake layout and more sheer than CIY16.